If you want to know who your visitors are and what they think and experience, you need to ask them. Understanding and reporting on who your visitors are is also an accreditation requirement and requirement of many funding streams. There are several national schemed available for gathering visitor data e.g. Audience Finder (AF) run by The Audience Agency. SHARE has developed a scheme which we feel is appropriate for smaller museums with lower numbers of visitors and staff/volunteers: Visitor Insight East (VIE). SHARE would like to support several small clusters of museums to start using VIE over the next few years.
VIE is a project to help you to undertake, analyse and implement visitor research. More information will be available for those museums interested in taking part, but here is a taste.
Participating museums will receive:
- A self-completion visitor survey for your visitors (paper copies and/or an online version);
- A link to an online survey for data to be inputted;
- A report with your data;
- A report which contextualises your data next to that of the other participating museums;
- training (details tbc):
Museums will need to:
- Proactively ensure that visitors complete the surveys;
- Input the completed surveys into an online survey;
If you are interested in signing up to VIE, or want to know more, email Kathy at email@example.com