Monday 1st June is the start of the thirty-first National Volunteers’ Week. This annual celebration of the work volunteers do is very relevant for museums. Most of the museums in Essex are entirely volunteer run, and those that aren’t still rely heavily on the hard work and creativity of volunteers.
Ahead of Volunteers’ Week, I am launching a new Volunteer Management Toolkit, with useful information for anyone managing volunteers and templates for documents including a volunteering policy, volunteer agreements, skills audits etc. There’s also a new Evaluation Toolkit, including a “how to” guide, templates, a glossary and a list of useful websites. These have been created for Essex museums by Pippa Smith from Handling the Past.
During Volunteers’ Week, I am hosting a series of guest posts:
- Monday – Volunteering and the HLF by Miranda Stearn, Heritage Lottery Fund
- Tuesday – Young Curators by Francesca Pellegrino, Epping Forest District Museum
- Wednesday – Accreditation and Volunteer-Run Museums by Joanne Godfrey, Mersea Museum
- Thursday – Life as a Museum Volunteer by Deke Dudley, Braintree Museum
- Friday – Volunteering with Kids in Museums by Jane Allnutt
- Saturday – The vTeam: Partnership Opportunities With the Student Volunteering Team by Anya Visegorodceva, University of Essex Students’ Union
- Sunday – Students, Graduates and Volunteer-Run Museums by Christine Brewster and Katie Wilkie, The Cater Museum
Thursday 4th June is also the first SHARE Museums East Volunteer Awards, and several Essex-based volunteers have been nominated, so please keep your fingers crossed for them!